Saturday, March 10, 2007

Buffy's 10th anniversary!

Today is the 10th anniversary of the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! "Welcome to the Hellmouth" first aired on March 10, 1997 on the WB as a midseason replacement. Can you believe it was that long ago?

For those of you who don't know, Buffy was and probably still is my favorite show of all-time. I started this blog well after the series ended so I haven't had much opportunity to talk about it, but I was a huge HUGE fan, right from the very beginning right up until the very end. It was my first and biggest TV obsession, and I also think that it's what really got me into the Internet and fandom and all that in the first place. I was a regular at the official posting board, the Bronze (which actually still exists in slightly altered form here...my handle was/is WinterRain) where I analyzed the show, started writing my first TV reviews, and got to know Buffy fans from around the country and the world. It was an interesting period in my life, and one that I have a lot of fond memories of.

But you know, even three years after the series finale, Buffy still lives on: Joss Whedon is writing a "Season 8" comic book series and the first issue comes out next week! I always felt like the show ended with a lot more story to tell and I'm really glad that we get the chance to hear more of it. I probably watch more TV now than I did back then, but I've yet to find a show that I love nearly as much as I loved Buffy. I probably never will.

No comments: