Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Veronica Mars: a very mixed bag

This week's episode of Veronica Mars was kind of a weird one. I really liked the mystery-of-the-week and really thought it was one of the best in a long time. I loved that Tim turned out to actually be a good boyfriend, that Rev. Capistrano turned out to actually be a real, geniune Christian and not crazy or hypocritical like televangelists are often portrayed, that Keith and Veronica posed as Carson and Nancy Drew, that Dick was being, well, Dick...it was all really really great.

But the rest of the episode? Kind of sucked. I feel like the mystery would have worked a lot better had Veronica not been going through her own pretty serious drama that she was completely not dealing with. Besides which, I really hate this twist in the LoVe saga. I'm not that upset that they broke up, because face it, it was inevitable, but this is why? I feel like it was totally out of character for Logan to sleep with Madison. Yeah, he's capable of plenty of stupid stuff, but he's been known to be extremely protective of Veronica and pretty harsh with people who've wronged her, so Madison, of all people? I guess the writers wanted to come up with something that Veronica would find unforgiveable, but to me it's just not believable at all.

I also kind of had a problem with Veronica wanting to crush Madison's car and getting Weevil to do it. I know she's into vengeance, but Weevil really doesn't need to be getting into any more trouble and she knows that. Also, as much as it was nice to see Weevil (and he did have some great lines), can we please bring back Mac and Wallace? I don't understand why Rob Thomas has his supporting cast for less time than every other show on TV...

Oh, and there was also a little more progress on the Dean O'Dell murder front. I'm not sure how many episodes are left in this mystery, but it's moving somewhat slowly. It almost seems like we've already moved onto the standalone episodes thing.

No comments: