Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Counting down to the end of the OC

This week is the series finale of the OC, and I have to say that it makes me a little sad. Despite a significant amount of suckage over the years, it's still produced tons of memorable characters and moments and I think I'm really going to miss it. But at least, like I've mentioned before, the show is going out on a really high point. So in preparation for the finale, here's my list of my favorite things from the show:
  1. Ryan and Seth. The show's iconic beginning might have been about Ryan and Marissa, but ultimately Ryan and Seth have the best relationship on the show. It's not as obvious as JD and Turk on Scrubs, but their friendship has really driven a lot of the show, and I loved that Seth got to help out Ryan this past episode and acknowledged that Ryan has helped him out of dozens of other sticky situations. As cheesy as this may sound, they really are brothers.
  2. Seth and Summer. I definitely had a crush on Seth first season, and in real life I think I'm still kind of looking for a indie-rock-comic-book-geek of my own. As for Summer, she's changed a lot since we first met her, but even with the recent emergence of activist Summer, she's remained one of the most loveable characters on the show. Plus Seth and Summer's Spiderman kiss was probably my favorite moment ever on the show.
  3. The Cohens. Sandy and Kirsten really elevated this show from being your average teen soap. Usually I can't stand when they try to give the parents storylines as well (which seem to invariable involve affairs and babies) but I cared about Sandy and Kirsten as much as, if not more, than the kids.
  4. Marissa's death. Gutsiest move I've maybe ever seen on a TV show. I went up and down with liking and disliking Marissa, but her death was unequivocably one of the saddest moments on the show.
  5. Julie Cooper. Possibly the single most entertaining character on television. She alternates between being immensely likeable and completely evil, she does high drama and screwball comedy equally well, and has had the craziest run of anyone on the show.

Honorable mentions for Taylor, who's really perked up this final season; Chrismukkah; "Welcome to the OC bitch"; the weekly dress-up functions from first season; Atomic County and the Valley; and of course the music department stealing all my thunder and playing all the bands I like the week after I discover them.

What were your favorite things from the OC?

No comments: