Monday, July 17, 2006

summer movie update

Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest - I remember really liking the first Pirates movie, even if I don't remember at all what it was actually about. I can't really say the same for this second installment. I saw it in a packed two-screen movie theater in Jasper, Alberta while on vacation (where popcorn is ridiculously cheap!) and maybe I was tired from all the hiking we'd done earlier in the day but I definitely dozed off during what was probably the most important fight scene of the movie. I say "probably" because there were really a bunch of scenes that could have been the climax but the movie just kept going on and on and on...I think it was almost 3 hours long! Yeah, there were some funny parts and Johnny Depp was as great as in the first movie, but the storyline just didn't hold my interest. The weird half-dead pirates that were like half fish or covered in barnacles or whatever were really gross and the trading company dude was more annoying than evil. I also found the ending to be pretty dumb. I must be missing something because I don't understand why Will and Elizabeth have THAT much loyalty to Jack, and are we supposed to be excited about that other captain coming back?

The Devil Wears Prada - I read this book, or tried to, and I hated it. I don't remember a lot about it but I thought the writing was pretty awful and I think that there were tons of minute details about stuff that I didn't really care about. But when the movie version came out, I paid attention because Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway were in it. And I was really super happy that I went to go see it, because it was just really fun and has some great performances. Meryl Streep was awesome, and I also loved her assistant Emily and Stanley Tucci as her right hand man. I liked how the magazine writer dude showed himself to not be right for Andy, I liked how and when Andy realized she needed to get out of the magazine, and I especially liked how they humanized Miranda a little, but not too much. Might even be destined to become one of my chick flick favorites!

No comments: