Monday, July 03, 2006

And even more teen summer series

Back in the heyday of the WB, there were a TON of teen TV shows on air, but then the past couple of years it seemed to die down a bit. But apparently this summer teen TV is making a comeback...two more I've watched.

Whistler on the N. An interesting alternative to the beach summer series, Whistler, a new series on the N, takes the audience to the snowy slopes of Canada. The show begins with the mysterious death of a snowboarding champ and local hero, leaving behind a younger brother (among other loved ones) to deal with the fallout. It's part average family/teen angst and part murder mystery and I have to say that I really liked it. It's a lot less afterschool special than the rest of the shows on the N and I thought that the acting was really quite good. I also really liked the "look" of how the show is shot, it's generally dark with lots of shadows that contrasts well with the stark white of all the snow. I think I'll definitely be following this one.

Oh and KRYCEK IS IN IT! He plays the dad. It's kind of strange that the actors I thought were HOT HOT back in the day are now old enough to play parents to teenagers.

Kyle XY on ABCFamily. Another ABCFamily show that I feel isn't terribly family oriented. I mean, I don't know of too many teenagers that would watch these kinds of shows with their parents and some of the material isn't appropriate for younger children at all. Anyway, besides that, this show was actually pretty watchable as well. It's about a teenaged boy that is found in the woods with no belly button, no memories, and no knowledge of what being human means. Is he human at all? That's the question it seems the series will be exploring. Kyle gets taken in by a psychologist and her family which includes two other teenagers and the expected fish-out-of-water stuations ensued, but to a much bigger degree since Kyle well, didn't even know how to eat. I liked the premiere, but I'm not sure about the show's direction so we'll have to see.

No comments: