Thursday, July 06, 2006

Emmy nominations

Every year I claim to not care about the Emmys but then I pay attention hoping they'll finally get some stuff right but then every year I realize that my TV preferences really don't align with the Emmy voters. Anyway, this year there was some new voting system so the nominations were a little more interesting, but there were definitely a lot of disappointments and some head-scratchers...

Happy about:
- Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart for 24!!! The Logans RULE! (Further proof that the name Logan just inspires greatness, even as a last name!)
- Arrested Development, the Office and Scrubs for Best Comedy
- Jeremy Piven and Will Arnett for Best Supporting Actor
- Lots of nominations for Bleak House (esp. happy about Tulkinghorn, who was sooo sinister)
- Project Runway for Best Reality Show!! (Third season starts next week I CANNOT WAIT!)
- The end of the Desperate Housewives monopoly, no major awards, yay!
- No unnecessary pimping of any one show in the acting categories. I hate it when there are 3 or more actors from the same show nominated for the same thing.

Confused about:
- Desmond for Lost???? Like, he was good, but it's kind of random, no?
- Two and a Half Men, is this actually good?
- Stockard Channing for Out of Practice? Did anyone even watch this show? Uhhhh it's almost as if the voters were like, hm, we recognize her, let's nominate her for something!
- No Hugh Laurie? No Lost for Best Drama? No My Name is Earl?
- Six Feet Under? Didn't that end a really long time ago?
- Lots of nominations for cancelled/ended shows...Commander in Chief, West Wing, Six Feet Under, Will & Grace, Malcolm in the Middle. Maybe this means next year there'll be more open spots? Which leads me to...

Wishful thinking:
- No Lauren Graham
- No Veronica Mars
- No majors for Battlestar Galactica (only got a few technical ones)
- No acting nods for Scrubs.

I know I sound like a snooty TV critic but eh. The only show that I really love that was well represented was 24...

No comments: