Friday, June 01, 2012

Upfronts - What's coming this Fall 2012

I know, I know, upfronts were a few weeks ago and this post is late. But it's still super early if we're talking about planning for fall TV! Here's what I found notable coming out of this year's upfronts. Overall, nothing I'm super excited about, but there are always surprises. One of my favorite new sitcoms of this past season was Suburgatory which I didn't even mention in last year's upfronts roundup and the dramas I was most looking forward to? Ringer (awful, and cancelled), Awake (cancelled), and The Secret Circle (cancelled). Go figure.

CBS:

  • Elementary - Modern-day Sherlock Holmes set in NYC. Suspicious timing so soon after the British Sherlock (which I love)....but Jonny Lee Miller is in it so I might have to check it out. I don't know about Lucy Liu as Watson though. There's inevitably going to be sexual tension and I feel like that just doesn't...fit.
  • Ummm nothing else. Interestingly CBS has decided to partner up The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men on Thursday nights and is not using them to launch any new sitcoms. I guess they have that luxury...
ABC:
  • 666 Park Avenue - Something about supernatural occurrences in a NYC apartment building. Interesting cast, including Terry O'Quinn, Vanessa Williams, Dave Annable, Robert Buckley...but sounds kinda dumb. 
  • Nashville - Normally would not be interested in a show about country music, but Connie Britton is in it. Mrs. Coach!
  • The Neighbors - Suburban family discovers that their neighbors are really aliens. Oh geez...
  • Last Resort - I don't know get what this is about exactly...something about the military and an island or something. But it's from Shawn Ryan, who has a good track record (though I've never watched any of his shows) and has a great cast including Andre Braugher, Autumn Reeser, Robert Patrick, and Scott Speedman (Ben from Felicity!).
  • Don't Trust the B* in Apartment 23 was renewed. I do want to catch up with that...
FOX:
  • The Mob Doctor - Pretty much exactly what the title says it is. Sounds kind of terrible but I do like Jordana Spiro and Zach Gilford is in it too (Matt Saracen!!).
  • The Mindy Project - I stopped watching The Office awhile ago but I always knew that Mindy Kaling (Kelly) was going places. First look seems funny, hopefully will live up to expectations.
  • The Goodwin Games (midseason) - Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite children's books, The Westing Game. Scott Foley and Becki Newton are two of three siblings put through an elaborate game to win their late father's inheritance. 
NBC:
  • Community renewed but banished to Fridays. And creator/executive producer Dan Harmon basically fired. Not sure what this all means...
  • Parenthood renewed!
  • Revolution - I'm not quite so turned off by J.J. Abrams anymore, but I'm wary of this one. Takes place 15 years after all electronics basically stop working and focuses on a family that might have the answer to what happened. 
  • Four new sitcoms, all look kind of dreadful.
  • Infamous (midseason) - A detective returns to the home where she grew up as the maid's daughter to investigate the death of her childhood best friend. Sounds soapy and fun, and Victor Garber is in it! 
CW:
  • Gossip Girl renewed for a final season. Amazingly I have stuck with this...
  • Emily Owens, MD. Lame title, but I like Mamie Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter). Nice match with Hart of Dixie.
  • Beauty and the Beast - Didn't really dig into the details but I gather it's basically a procedural with the star-crossed romance somehow being an element.
  • The Carrie Diaries (midseason) - Sex and the City prequel. I thought this had a lot of buzz but for some reason the CW is holding it for midseason. I like AnnaSophia Robb and there should be a lot of crazy 80s fashions so seems like it could be fun.

2 comments:

mira said...

Lucy Liu as Watson is enough for me to pass on Elementary.

Dave Annable and Robert Buckley in the same show??? Sounds too scary for me but... what a nice pair of guys...

Connie Britton is enough for me to check out Nashville.

Russ will probably make me watch Last Resort and Mob Doctor.

Goodwin Games sounds like fun!

Disappointed in the cancellation of The Secret Circle. Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries, I might check out.

THANKS FOR POSTING!! :D

burkie said...

did you know that sherlock holmes is the most portrayed fictional character ever in tv & movies? he is. that said, no matter how different it may be, there's been enough sherlock in recent years. more on this topic this thursday, though... ;)

yay, connie britton! i guess that means her horror show was cancelled? i never got around to watching it, though i heard it was, in fact, darn creepy.