Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thursday Talk: Books and Music of 2010

J: 2010 is almost over, so of course that means coming up with end-of-the-year lists. Let's tackle books and music this week. What was the best book you read this year and what was your favorite song/album/artist of 2010?

Jennifer: I finally read Steig Larsson's Millenium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest) this year and while some parts were a little slow going (a lot of pretty detailed stuff about the government and the police and business), overall they definitely lived up to the hype. Once they got going I couldn't put them down! I also read all the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels and LOVED them. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

In music, my favorite song of the year, hands down, is Robyn's Dancing On My Own. Robyn's been around for years but I never thought I liked dance music -- I don't dance or go to clubs. But this song is infectious. The lyrics are so simple and emotionally bare and I also kinda love Robyn's crazy dance moves in the video. For albums, my picks are The National - High Violet (listen to "Bloodbuzz Ohio") and of course Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (check out "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)").

Mira: (Will answer when she returns from vacation!) Finally answering! My favorite song of the year is Neon Trees' "Animal." It's one of those songs that for some unexplainable reason it makes me really happy to listen to. "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers is another such song. A close second is "The Only Exception" by Paramore. Favorite album, I pick Ingrid Michaelson - Everybody. It's actually from 2009 but I've listened to that album a whole lot the past year. (I first was introduced to her music at a concert in late 2009 and saw her again in 2010 because I like her that much.)

For books, I pick The Hunger Games trilogy. This actually is relevant to 2010 because the final book of the series, Mockingjay, was released in August. I had heard a lot of positive reviews for the series but had held off on reading them until the series was complete so I could read all three together. I also had a lot of school and very little time for fun reading. In any case, it was totally worth the wait and the books were fantastic. They were so good I read 2.5 of the 3 books on my loooong flight from Rome to Atlanta; didn't even nap!

3 comments:

burkie said...

wow, jenn. you've been a productive blogger this week! (i have, too, actually.)

i read some books this year, but the only one that came out in 2010, i think, is "Necessary As Blood" by deborah crombie. it's the latest in her superb mystery series featuring duncan kincaid and gemma james. i certainly recommend that book and the entire series.

for music...i have to admit that i haven't been listening to any new music--in any genre--this year. i just checked billboard's website and looked at the top songs of the year. i've never heard any of them, and haven't heard of most of the artists. i'm officially old, now. but the best CD i bought this year was Buddy Miller's "The Best of the Hightone Years." that CD came out 2 years ago, though, and is a "best of..."

Fanny said...

I haven't read any books that came out this year. I mostly reread a lot of old books or read ones that came out before. Favorite song from 2010 would be a tie between "Ours" by The Bravery and "The One That Got Away" by Katy Perry.

Jennifer said...

I tried to word it so that you didn't have to necessarily pick books that came out in 2010...I want to hear about any great book you read this year!