Thursday, December 06, 2007

Gossip Girl: Chuck or Nate?

So I guess I should never start complaining about how TV hasn't been compelling right before November sweeps.

Up until recently Gossip Girl has kind of just been a fun guilty pleasure but now it's totally sucking me in. And interestingly, it's not at all the Dan and Serena storyline that's hooked me. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Dan is completely awesome and I would have loved to have had a boyfriend like him when I was in high school (or college...or now...?) but I find him and Serena to be kind of boring as a couple. And all the parallels with them and their parents is just...weird. And now with Rufus basically admitting that he's not really over Lily? I don't know, I liked the idea of Allison coming home and having one functional family on the show but so far I've been underwhelmed by her. But I can't really root for Rufus and Lily either...oy.

Anyway, what's really sucked me in is Blair. Leighton Meester is totally killing in this role. She started off being a little too queen-bee-bitchy but she's quickly become probably the most interesting character on the show. Along with Chuck. And in that way, it's totally fun and crazy and kind of perfect that they ended up hooking up. But as an actual relationship? Like...in public? That just seems a bit...wrong. Especially since Chuck's, uh, predatory past still creeps me out. Not that Nate's really right for Blair either. But for some reason I do kind of have a soft spot for Nate, even though we've really never seen him be in all that into Blair until this episode really...he's been perpetually preoccupied with Serena and his dad and all that. But after the Thanksgiving episode I now believe at some point that they were really good together. Generally I'm kind of meh on love triangles but this one kind of intrigues me because really not a single one of them knows what they want. It's all messy and confusing and unpredictable, which makes for some pretty great TV.

Oh, and I KNOW that I'm way past high school but hearing that Blair wants to be a member of Yale's class of 2013 make me feel really old...

No comments: