Friday, June 17, 2005

modest mouse @ dar constitutional hall

Modest Mouse live is so incredibly awesome. They are definitely one of THE best live performances ever. It's funny because there are a few songs by them from their CD's (the only ones I actually know are Good News for People Who Love Bad News and The Moon & Antarctica) that I *really* like but a lot of the other songs on the CD's? Just not a big fan of. However, listening to the songs performed live? It didn't make me actually fall in love with the songs, but I really enjoyed it. They're so awesome to watch on stage because there is just SO much going on. There are a lot of different musical elements that go into each song. Whether the musicians are switching instruments in the middle of the song from guitar to keyboard to morocca-like things. Or whether there are 6 percussionists performing in one song. It was just so great to watch and to try to break down the songs by each instrument. I loved it when they used an electric cello-like instrument (I'm not really sure what it was) to play the bass-line. It was just absolutely fantastic. They look like they're having a great time performing together. And somehow even with a minimum of 2 drummers drumming at all times, the singer(s) were NEVER drowned out. I mean admittedly I didn't really know what they were singing most of the time, but that's just cuz I'm not good at listening to lyrics. But if I wanted to pay attention? I would've been able to hear the lyrics. It was just an incredibly energy-charged performance and I loved (Love it! Love it!) every minute of it. My only, ONLY disappointment with the concert is that they didn't perform "3rd Planet," but I guess since that was on their last album it's understandable... But it's okay, the rest of the performance was so great, I really shouldn't complain.

But yeah, Jenn, definitely something to look forward to!!! I eagerly await your critique on the Central Park summerstage concert in a few days. :-)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm excited!